AADDM Conference 2017 – Friday, May 5, 2017
A Smorgasbord of Genetics, Neurodevelopment, Psychiatry and Challenging Behaviours in people with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities.
Time: 8am – 5pm
Venue: Main Lecture Theatre, Women’s and Children’s Hospital Adelaide
This conference is designed for professionals from different sectors within the field of disability. It is a must attend for general practitioners, paediatricians, adult and child psychiatrists, nurses, occupational therapists and educators who work with people who have intellectual/ developmental disability.
Two world class key note speakers, Professor Jozef Getz and Professor Ted Brown will present latest research in the field of neurodevelopment and genetics. There will be Interactive case presentations, panel discussions and exploration of new ideas in the field of sensory processing.
A strong clinical focus will ensure that what you learn today can be translated directly into your practice tomorrow, so come along and feast your senses in Adelaide!
Key Note Speakers
Jozef Gécz, PhD is an NH&MRC Senior Research Fellow and Professor of Human Genetics at the Adelaide Medical School. He discovered or contributed to the discovery of numerous genes for various forms of neurodevelopmental disabilities including cerebral palsy. He will present on the new genetic technologies which are transforming the diagnosis of neurodevelopmental disability.
W. Ted Brown, MD, PhD, is the recently retired Director of the New York State Institute for Basic Research (IBR) in Developmental Disabilities, Staten Island, NY. (He recently moved to Sydney, married Dr Jacqueline Small, and is now a Visiting Professor at University of Sydney.) Much of his research has focused on the Fragile X syndrome, autism, and progeria. He was the first to describe a relationship between autism and the Fragile X syndrome. He will describe progress being made in these areas and new developments in genetics.
- Dr Margaret Kyrkou: Senior specialist general practitioner in the field of disability
- Dr Jenny Curran, Psychiatrist developmental disability
- Dr Jane Nugent: Special interest general practitioner in the field of disability
- Dr Emma Goodall PhD: Senior autism advisor Department of Education and Child Development (DECD) SA
- Nicole Kyrkou: Program manager complex needs and mental health DECD.
- Dr John Entwistle: Senior specialist general practitioner in the field of disability
- Kerry Rye: Mental health nurse
- Corrine Maher: Mental health nurse
- Dr Jessica Smith: Special interest general practitioner in the field of disability
- Dr Mohammad Usman: Psychiatrist paediatric developmental disability
- Dr Christel Burton: Special interest general practitioner in the field of disability
AADDM Pre-Conference Dinner – Thursday, May 4, 2017
Venue: Adelaide Oval Cathedral Room
A GREAT NETWORKING OPPORTUNITY for medical, nursing, allied health professionals, and others supporting people with intellectual disability
EMINENT GUEST SPEAKERS
The Honourable Kelly Vincent MLC South Australia
Professor Julian Trollor, Head of the Department of Developmental Disability Neuropsychiatry, UNSW Sydney
The inaugural AADDM quiz
Dance floor…please join us.
If you would like to know more about AADDM, please click here.